Monday, August 4, 2008

12 Hours at Cool Night Run



The much anticipated 12 Hours at Cool Night Run is complete and I couldn't be happier with my performance: I achieved my goal of 5 loops or 45 miles - the farthest I've ever run!

A group of about 80 people gathered behind the Cool Firehouse to run the Olmstead loop (9 miles with an aid station at mile 5.5). While in the parking lot we met some horse riders. After letting Eli say "hi" to the horse, they asked how far you running today? Our friend Beth said 12 hours. The rider looked confused... "you mean you're done in 12 hours?". "Yup, 7 AM." The horse rider said "may God bless you" while tracing out a cross on her chest. Such is the typical reaction to hearing about an ultra. I love it!

I'm always amazed that I actually know people at races now - mostly because I'm not the most social guy. I knew the race director Nancy, the parking volunteer, the birthday boy Mariano, I recognized Ray Sanchez, and a load of online forumites of which I know by RunnerWorld posts but not in person. Not to mention the new friends I met.



Lap 1 (0 - 9 miles)
After our 6:45 briefing... at 7:00 we were off. I started mid pack and just took it easy walked the hills, checked my pace wasn't too fast, and worked on hydration and fueling. At the start I brought 2 water bottles because the air was so dry and at the pre-race I was abnormally thirsty. Soon I caught up to Christine Miller - someone I had ran with a lot during the High Sierra 3 Step last year. We knew each other well AND I knew she was GREAT at keeping a consistent yet swift pace over 20+ miles. We caught up on old times and shared some running stories: While pointing out the blackberry bushes along the trail she shared a story about how during a training run her and her husband ran out of water and ate blackberries for food/moisture. It's amazing the events that transpire in an ultra that make a simple blackberry bush symbolic to a VERY vivid running memory. I countered with great stories of my wife and my 2 kids.

Following a big climb (1 of 2) we reached the aid station run by the amazing Norm and Helen Klein! What awesome people! I had some Coke, potatoes, and trail mix... then we were both off. Another steep descent and the second big climb and before you knew it, it was only 1.5 miles until the Start/Finish. It was this time that the sun began to set. Christine brought out her light while I trudged on without, picking up speed heading into the aid station.

I loved the 1.5 mile run to the Start/Finish aid station. It had some rolling up and down hills, a few short quick descents, then finally a trail adjacent to highway 49 then you popped out at the Cool firehouse and ran a brief paved road the finish. A super fast section. At the completion of the first lap there was a huge cheering section (by trail running standards) that immediately put a smile on my face.

I hit the aid station for the typical trail mix, salted potatoes, and chips got a water fill of my 28 oz bottle and dropped off my 20 oz. I also picked up another 2 hour supply of Cliff Blocks all well before the 2 hour mark. I donned my headlamp and was off.

Lap 2 (9 - 18 miles)
Boy, I don't remember the specifics around this lap - this lap was hard on me. I was feeling tired and I felt my mind was attempting to trick me into stopping. I stuck to my original hydration and fueling plan... interacted with a few other runners. But, overall I just trudged along keeping an average 13min/mile pace. I fueled up at the 5.5 mile aid station (taking a good 3-4 minutes). I remember Norm commenting on how runners were eating at an incredible rate that night. He was just amazed! Again the long decent and steep ascent and in to the Start/Finish. At the Start/Finish I got caught eyeing the Jack Daniels and adjacent shot glass. The "devil on my shoulder" aid station worker said, "Go ahead, do it. You won't have been the first. Bev Anderson-Abbs is doing a shot every lap!" Although tempted I did not partake - Ahhh peer pressure!

Lap 3 (18 - 27 miles)
I left juiced with some RedBull and packing a 2 hour Perpetuem. I was cruising. In fact too fast at times - I caught myself doing sub 9 min. miles a few times (which I told myself I wouldn't do). The night began to hypnotize me. On my climbs I would turn down most of my lighting and watch the sky. WOW, was it DARK! I mean pitch black, amazing. And the stars were beautiful!

Lap 4 (27 - 36 miles)
With a fresh pair of socks and shoes I was off in comfort. Those road shoes had been killing my feet since the beginning of lap 3 and I was glad to be out of them. I also took 400mg of Motrin to settle the pain. Everything worked well. I was cruising, alone, but cruising. The night was lonely and for MUCH of the time I was alone. I got a little spooked, okay a lot sometimes. With a combo of my fatigue and solitude I was scared by my OWN shadow 3 times!!! My free hand would swing in front of my handheld light creating an ENORMOUS shadow that scared the freak'n hell outta me!?!?! It was VERY embarrassing! Other than that I was fine. I crested the hill to Norm and Helen's aid station... and this cracked me up. Norm would yell, "NUMBER, SOUP!" when you were still 50 feet from the table. This time I replied, "458 and YES!". The soup was good, really good. Shortly after I took off into the night to tackle the big hill once again. Funny thing was that with each successive lap the hill got shorter and shorter. I like that! I made it back to the Start/Finish, starred at the aid table again... snacked, reloaded my 2 hour Perpetuem then was off. By myself. No light ahead of me nor behind.

Lap 5 (36 - 45 miles)
I was driven by this lap being my last. I didn't have a firm concept of what time it was - I calculated a few times but the number would just wonder off in my brain somewhere. It really didn't matter anyway. I caught up to a lady speed walking with 2 poles that was very nice. I exclaimed, "Good Morning!" and she mentioned hearing the birds waking up. I parted ways while saying, "before you know it the sun will be up too!" I rolled into Norm and Helen's aid station once again. They said only 37 runners were still on the course. I bid my farewell and thanked them... telling them this was my last lap. Up the hill and through the speed track to the finish. I ran in fast, because the energy was there and solid. I was pleasantly surprised! I came in at 10 hours 25 minutes or so. Nancy asked are you going again? I said no, I can't do a sub 2 hour lap. She replied you look too fresh you have to head out for at least a 1/2 lap. Go, Go, Go. I calmly said, I have Headlands in < 1 week I'm done. She was okay with that and immediately told me I'm going to dust her at Headlands.

I spent the remaining time hanging out at the Start/Finish for 1.5 hours cheering finishers until Jen and the boys came to pick me up. I met some great people and saw some interesting finishes - some looked good, others look completely spent. One memory that stuck was yo-yo man. He strolled in wearing a bright red and yellow outfit while throwing 2 yo-yos and an 8 oz. bottle of Jack Daniels tucked in the front of his shorts. Unfortunately he had an additional surprise. When he turned there was a "wardrobe malfunction" and his right butt check was making a stark appearance! Ray Sanchez had a strong finish completing 6 laps and just missing the cut-off to head out for another 1/2 lap. I met Dave Schurr, a very friendly ultrarunner that just came off a strong 40+ hour Hardrock finish and is the course captain of the Wildest Run in the West. Dave was great and shared some awesome stories and ultra secrets. I also met 2 ladies, Melissa and Jennifer, that shared great ultra puking stories among many others.

Great time! I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

2 comments:

Ron said...

Congratulations, Franz, on your amazingly long and well-planned run! And thanks for sharing the link to your blog.

Did you happen to weigh yourself before and after?

Are you going to plan on switching shoes and socks during the Headlands 50? Or only do the switch if your feet are sore?

Looking forward to seeing you next Saturday for the Headlands 50 mile.

--Ron

Franz said...

Hey Ron!
No I didn't weigh myself directly before or after unfortunately. But, after about 12 hours of recovery and hydration I did weigh in at 134 lbs. which is in-line with my typical weight. Although I felt as though I hydrated very well at approximately 20-28 oz. per hour in 70 degree temps averaging a 13 min/mile pace.

I think the shoe switch was a one-time thing. My road shoes were more worn than I had expected. The shoes I switched into were a brand spanking new pair of Brooks ASR5 trail shoes with 3 miles on them (hardly broken in). But they were a life saver. For headlands I'll start in them and pack an extra pair of shoes for emergencies (but don't plan on changing).

Socks on the other hand: I'm definitely doing 1 sock change at Headlands. That really helped - I changed out of normal socks into Ininji's at mile 27 which helped out a hot spot that was developing and gave me a chance to re-powder my feet. Honestly the quick rest and sitting down helped too.

Headlands will be a BLAST. I'm really looking forward to seeing you and everyone from the CRC!